Blogger Facebook Twitter Instagram

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Cheapo Tuesday: A Guide to John Street, Cabramatta for Under $20

| | 2 comments
Alright I know what you're thinking. You're thinking hold up a second, this post is clearly cheating. It's cheating on you harder than Britney Spears cheated on Justin Timberlake himself. I mean everything in Cabramatta is cheap so why does Cabramatta get a whole Cheapo Tuesday post and why does the heading feel the need to include "under $20" as if there could possibly be anything in Cabramatta that is over $20? I mean it just defeats the purpose doesn't it seeing as the Vietnamese run this joint. Before you attack me guys, just let me take a second to explain why I felt the need to write "under $20" in the heading of this post. Give me a second to justify my thought process guys.

Cabramatta can be quite overwhelming to the average Sydney sider. I mean even as a Vietnamese girl who can recall the burden of being dragged along John Street by her mother every Sunday morning, only phased by the promise of pandan waffles at the end of the four hour journey, I still struggle with the expanse of street vendors and shops. I won't even try to hide the fact that I can't tell you the difference between banh canh and banh cuon. Because, in all my shameless white washed glory, I still find Cabramatta more overwhelming than deciding whether or not to buy the same item of clothing in both black and white.

Rather than dwell on the "under $20" in the description I want you all to take notice of the word "guide" which suggests that this post in itself is a guide. A guide designed for all of you who, like me, should just overcome this fear of choice in Cabramatta because sometimes you've only got twenty dollars in your pocket and there's nowhere else to go. To you, my people, I dedicate this post. *

*In all honesty, the justification I just gave - like every literary analysis ever done on a text by an English teacher - was a huge lie. I just wanted to caption this post on Facebook with Macklemore lyrics and happened to notice everything on the list was under $20. This is fucking awesome.

Tan Viet Noodle House: Crispy skin chicken with tomato rice, $12.00

Pho Tau Bay: Large Vietnamese beef and noodle soup, $12.00

Cafe 86: Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk, $3.80

Tien Minh Bakery: Pork roll, $3.80

Viet Hoa Hot Bread: Pandan waffles, $1.50

Crispy Crepe: Green tea crepe sundae, $5.00

Huong Vuong: Custard egg puffs, $4.00


Giai Khat: Large avocado shake, $5.00


Thanh Binh: Spring rolls, $8.00


Que Huong: Mini Vietnamese pancakes, $11.00

Images sourced from: A Wife's Charmed LifeFood SpottingFood SpottingGrab Your ForkI Heart Cabramatta, I Heart CabramattaThe Hedonist LifeRichard ElliotSimon Food FavouritesYou Only Live Once.

2 comments:

  1. oh man it's been too long between pandan waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to get back on those $1.50 paper bag filled pockets of goodness Susan!

    ReplyDelete